One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
To a great extent; extremely.as submodifier ‘the president was immensely popular’
extremely, very, exceedingly, exceptionally, especially, extraordinarily, tremendously, vastly, hugely, abundantly, intensely, acutely, singularly, significantly, distinctly, outstandingly, uncommonly, unusually, decidedly, particularly, eminently, supremely, highly, remarkably, really, truly, mightily, thoroughly, to a fault, in the extreme, extraView synonyms
- ‘This was immensely popular with the audience and left a lasting impression.’
- ‘The soldiers proved immensely popular with local people, giving food away from their trucks.’
- ‘His parents paid tribute to him, saying he was extremely popular and would be missed immensely.’
- ‘I enjoyed the play immensely, not least because it was a matinee performance.’
- ‘Soon he was embarking upon his meteoric rise to an immensely powerful position in French musical life.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.