One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The belief that material things have no objective existence.
- ‘What had touched the world's hearts was the ethereal immaterialism of their secluded world and something primal in the music they sang.’
- ‘It is possible that Johnson was attempting to disprove immaterialism by the physicality of the stone and its action on his foot.’
- ‘In 1709 he issued An Essay towards a New Theory of Vision, followed in the next year by The Principles of Human Knowledge, the main exposition of his immaterialism.’
- ‘There is less agreement on Berkeley's argumentative approach to idealism and immaterialism and on the role of some of his specific arguments.’
- ‘The affinity between immaterialism and traditional religion is somewhat easier to understand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.