One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound used to treat depression.
A tricyclic amine; chemical formula: C₁₉H₂₄N₂
- ‘The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical efficacy of hypericum extract and compare it with the recommended dose of imipramine, one of the most commonly used tricyclic antidepressants.’
- ‘Amitriptyline was the most frequently studied drug, followed by imipramine.’
- ‘The herbal preparation exhibited an antidepressant effect comparable with that induced by imipramine, supporting the use of this preparation as a mood stabilizer.’
- ‘Desmopressin and imipramine are the primary drugs used in the treatment of nocturnal enuresis.’
- ‘Antidepressant medications commonly used to treat bulimia include desipramine, imipramine, and fluoxetine.’
- ‘A drug called imipramine, which is used as an antidepressant in adults, may help by improving the child's sleep patterns or affecting the way the bladder muscles of the bladder work.’
- ‘Most studies used amitriptyline and imipramine.’
- ‘The authors conclude that hypericum and imipramine were therapeutically equivalent during the six-week treatment period.’
- ‘Antidepressants included in the trials were imipramine, amitriptyline, desipramine, phenylzine, isocaboxazid, brofaramine, fluoxetine, mianserin, and bupropion.’
- ‘Isolated instances of such damage have been reported with such drugs as benoxaprofen, chlorpromazine, haloperidol, imipramine, and others.’
- ‘Another class of drugs used to relax the bladder is tricyclic antidepressants, such as imipramine, nortriptyline, and desipramine.’
- ‘Because he is young and has no comorbidities, imipramine at a dosage of 50 mg daily would be a reasonable first choice of medication.’
- ‘One case controlled study found no evidence that imipramine or fluoxetine increased the rate of malformations in pregnancy.’
- ‘In the past, imipramine (brand name: Tofranil) was used to treat bed-wetting.’
- ‘Because of the tolerance profile of imipramine it was probably easy for the patients to guess whether they were receiving St John's wort or imipramine.’
- ‘The authors conclude that an average dosage of hypericum extract, 350 mg three times daily, appears to be as efficacious as imipramine in relieving moderate depressive symptoms.’
- ‘Desmopressin and imipramine or other tricyclics are well-known treatments for bedwetting.’
- ‘From this one small trial you draw the tentative conclusion that desmopressin and imipramine have similar effectiveness, and you therefore evaluate the data on adverse effects in order to determine which is the better choice.’
- ‘When Ritalin and the antidepressant imipramine are taken together, blood levels of imipramine may be higher than expected.’
- ‘An inadequate response to methylphenidate was followed first by a trial of dextroamphetamine, then pemoline and then imipramine.’
1950s: from imi(ne) + pr(opyl) + amine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.