One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The person who leads prayers in a mosque.
- ‘So, at most madrasa graduates can aspire to become teachers in madrasas, imams in mosques or else open another madrasa of their own.’
- ‘Muezzins invoke a call to prayer, reminding everyone it is either time to pray or to call them to the mosque, and imams lead the prayers.’
- ‘Cell phones also ring at other mosques while imams give their Friday sermon and lead the five daily prayers.’
- ‘A shortage of qualified imams means British mosques look abroad for clerics, often to Saudi Arabia or Pakistan.’
- ‘The imams from 12 mosques are meeting this week to discuss calling for a vote for Respect.’
- ‘The bilal calls the faithful to prayer, and the imam leads them in prayer.’
- ‘The imam is a prayer leader, the muezzin the caller to prayers in each community.’
- ‘While there is a prayer leader, or imam, in the mosque, they are not a priest, simply a person who knows a great deal about Islam.’
- ‘While I was offering a supererogatory prayer, the imam entered the obligatory prayer.’
- ‘He was walking with an imam who feared his mosque was under threat.’
- ‘His father, the imam of a neighborhood mosque that was destroyed in tribal conflict, was killed in prison.’
- ‘Thousands gathered to welcome the imam of the grand mosque in Makkah on his visit to Lancashire.’
- ‘The men sat outside the house with the imam, who led the wedding prayers.’
- ‘On Fridays Muslims attend a service at a mosque in which an imam leads the prayer and usually gives a sermon.’
- ‘Among those who attended were several imams of mosques and teachers at Muslim madrasas.’
- ‘In it the man or father functions as the imam in accordance with the patriarchal nature of Islam.’
- ‘He was the son of the imam at the Mapiliyia Mosque and provincial Islamic cleric.’
- ‘There are a number of traditional religious practitioners as well as Muslim imams, Catholic priests, and Protestant ministers.’
- ‘This is the view of most of the imams preaching in the mosques in the West.’
- ‘It would be mad for people just to run off to the local mosque and expect the imam to greet you with open arms.’
- 1.1 A title of various Muslim leaders, especially of one succeeding Muhammad as leader of Shiite Islam.‘Imam Khomeini’
From Arabic 'imām ‘leader’, from 'amma ‘lead the way’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.