Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thickening of the epidermis of an insect larva which, on pupation, develops into a particular organ of the adult insect.
- ‘Because the dorsal body wall develops from the wing imaginal disc, data on thoracic body wall patterning are available in Drosophila.’
- ‘The genital imaginal discs contain primordia for both male and female reproductive organs and the major function of the sex-determination pathway is to repress the opposite sex primordia.’
- ‘The imaginal discs now develop into rudimentary adult appendages like wings, legs, and antennae.’
- ‘The adult eye develops from a monolayer of epithelial cells, the eye imaginal disc.’
- ‘Why are imaginal discs present in some insects and not in others?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.