One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to an image.‘imaginal education methods’
- ‘Every perception enters an imaginal file, buds in arrest until swayed by a life-shifting rain or the blight of the news of an unknown person's death.’
- ‘How do you make the richness of your imaginal life work for you - rather than against - in everyday reality?’
- ‘Our imagination is socially shaped; we get our repertoire of images from the society's imaginal world, though we also contribute to that world in turn.’
- ‘Australian Aboriginal culture is about everything in the imaginal realm and everything in the natural environment.’
- ‘These include cognitive, emotive, imaginal, and behavioural methods.’
Relating to an adult insect or imago.
- ‘Concurrently, the precursors of adult structures - the imaginal discs, imaginal rings, imaginal islands, and histoblast nests - undergo dramatic morphogenetic changes.’
- ‘Late instars were isolated into same sex groups prior to the imaginal molt to ensure virginity.’
- ‘In lepidopterans, extirpation of imaginal wing discs in the final instar delays pupation in order for the larva to regenerate lost tissue.’
- ‘In third instar larvae the reporter gene is intensively expressed in all the imaginal discs, in the larval gonads, in the imaginal ring cells of salivary glands, and in the ring gland.’
- ‘It was necessary to include these last two stages before the imaginal molt because development of alates was not completely synchronized; these nymphs and alates were present from April - mid August, when nuptial flights begin.’
Late 19th century: from Latin imago, imagin- ‘image’ + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.