Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the ancient region of Illyria or its language.
- ‘Half a century before Christ the Thracians occupied Hungary east of the Danube, while Hungary west of the Danube was the home of Celtic and Illyrian tribes.’
- ‘Eventually, the Aitolians had to be recalled to help their former enemies in Epirus against Demetrios's savage Illyrian raiders.’
- ‘The nadir came when his brother, Perdiccas III, died in battle against Illyrian invaders, who occupied the north-western borderlands.’
- ‘The name ‘Albania’ is derived from an ancient Illyrian tribe, the Albanoi, who inhabited part of modern-day Albania from around 1225 BC to AD 200.’
- ‘He was born simply Diocles, the son of a poor Illyrian family who made his career in the army.’
1A native or inhabitant of ancient Illyria.
- ‘The Romans had a hard struggle before they succeeded finally in breaking the power of the Illyrians and in getting control of Bosnia and Herzegovina.’
- ‘The first known inhabitants were the Illyrians, followed by the Celts in the fourth century, and the Romans a century after that.’
- ‘He's seen it all - the passions of Illyrians, the conventions of romantic comedy, and the illusions of theatre - and of filmmaking.’
- ‘The national ideology insists on an unequivocal ethnic relationship with the ancient Illyrians.’
- ‘Albanians descend from the ancient Illyrians.’
- 1.1The branch of the Indo-European family of languages possibly represented by modern Albanian.
- ‘Whether the Albanian language stems from Illyrian or Thracian, both, or neither is a matter of contention.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.