One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who draws or creates pictures for magazines, books, advertising, etc.
- ‘In a carnival atmosphere, leading artists, architects, illustrators, cartoonists, dancers and unicyclists will join forces in a drive to get the nation drawing.’
- ‘Since 1991, 33 awards have been presented to the authors and illustrators of outstanding books.’
- ‘With 14 illustrators contributing to the book, one might expect some obvious discontinuity among plates, but that is not the case.’
- ‘She graduated in art and design at Falmouth in Cornwall in 1991 and was soon in demand as a wildlife illustrator for magazines and books.’
- ‘More than 200 artists, designers, photographers and illustrators will showcase their designs in the gallery.’
- ‘After the war he returned to easel painting and was also active as a book and magazine illustrator and as a designer of mosaics and stained glass.’
- ‘As a printmaker and book illustrator, his clear and imaginative compositions contributed to the popularity of emblem books.’
- ‘Fine artists were at the top, while comic book illustrators were at the bottom.’
- ‘Most of my pals are either comic book artists or illustrators.’
- ‘Quite a few of the artists at the top today began their careers as illustrators for books, magazines and museums and their attention to detail is evident.’
- ‘Of all the problems faced by painters, illustrators and still photographers, one of the most difficult is conveying the sense of movement and motion.’
- ‘All I'll be doing is talking about my book, Mad Art, which chronicles the splendid illustrators for Mad Magazine.’
- ‘For this reason, illustrators must finish their pictures by deadlines, while painters rarely have to do this.’
- ‘Special seminars aimed at readers, writers and illustrators of kids' books will run throughout the duration of the book exhibition.’
- ‘Other artists who contributed their talents were a trio of children's book illustrators.’
- ‘He notes that the company will monetize sales by selling images to users and splitting the revenue with the illustrators who created them.’
- ‘Since then, this award has paid tribute to the best of the best African-American authors and illustrators of books for children and young adults.’
- ‘Another fundamental difference is that illustrators create a piece for an assignment.’
- ‘The Hans Christian Andersen Awards are the highest international recognition given to the writers and illustrators of children's books.’
- ‘Gouse began his career as a pen-and-ink artist and an illustrator of books.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.