One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Done or occurring at an inappropriate time.‘an extremely ill-timed announcement’
untimely, mistimed, badly timedView synonyms
- ‘To use the occasion of his death to launch an attack on one aspect of his policy seems inappropriate, ill-timed, small-minded and tasteless.’
- ‘The criticism was ill-timed, but all we can do is win football games and this performance answered everybody.’
- ‘The scheme is ill-timed, ill-judged, ill-planned and ill-prepared.’
- ‘The ambition was laudable but the execution was marred by a series of ill-timed and increasingly expensive acquisitions.’
- ‘Often those attempting something positive were scythed down by ill-timed interventions.’
- ‘The April festival has been sunk by an ill-timed deluge of rain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.