Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Done or occurring at an inappropriate time.‘an extremely ill-timed announcement’
untimely, mistimed, badly timedpremature, early, hastyinopportune, inconvenient, awkward, unwelcomeinappropriate, unsuitable, inaptdisadvantageous, unfavourable, unfortunate, ineptView synonyms
- ‘The ambition was laudable but the execution was marred by a series of ill-timed and increasingly expensive acquisitions.’
- ‘Often those attempting something positive were scythed down by ill-timed interventions.’
- ‘To use the occasion of his death to launch an attack on one aspect of his policy seems inappropriate, ill-timed, small-minded and tasteless.’
- ‘The April festival has been sunk by an ill-timed deluge of rain.’
- ‘The scheme is ill-timed, ill-judged, ill-planned and ill-prepared.’
- ‘The criticism was ill-timed, but all we can do is win football games and this performance answered everybody.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.