Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not carefully planned or considered.‘ill-conceived schemes’
absurd, preposterous, ridiculous, ludicrous, farcical, laughable, risibleView synonyms
- ‘It was Sunday morning already, and time to put his ill-conceived plans to work.’
- ‘This ill-conceived scheme was not the result of deregulation but the deliberate choice of the state of California.’
- ‘It seems to me that it is just more ill-conceived and bad legislation that will affect a large number of people.’
- ‘They are always scrambling to get something finalized before their ill-conceived plans or public lies are exposed.’
- ‘The plot to rob the Clutters' place was ill-conceived and absurd.’
- ‘All of this proved to be at least as ineffectual, disruptive, and ill-conceived as the previous urban renewal regime.’
- ‘This was his ‘big idea’ and it was a hopelessly ill-conceived and ludicrously expensive one.’
- ‘There are sound, practical grounds for arguing that such an approach would be ill-conceived, impractical and dangerous.’
- ‘Well, letting him release an album of ill-conceived covers is a bad idea.’
- ‘He was far too hard headed and realistic to permit the needless throwing away of lives in the ill-conceived offensives that characterised the First World War.’
- ‘Certainly, their business plans, with their dependence on advertising, were ill-conceived.’
- ‘The ill-conceived project provoked outrage among the communities of both clubs.’
- ‘The result is wild rhetoric and ill-conceived laws that interfere not just with gamers' fun but with an art form in its infancy.’
- ‘Perhaps the county board officers should have laced on the boots, but sure as hell the players had no stomach for such an ill-conceived tournament.’
- ‘If there is a bureaucratic bias against the smaller regional theatres then it is both stupid and ill-conceived.’
- ‘He is clearly a fool for writing such an ill-conceived and prejudiced article, and the editors of the Express are even more stupid for being foolish enough to print it.’
- ‘Their motives are noble but their plan is ill-conceived.’
- ‘Part of that plan should be to freeze and review the ill-conceived plan the president put forth this week in Ohio.’
- ‘In a tiny nation which must endure often harsh relations with nature, the focus on one whale is seen as ill-conceived, at best silly.’
- ‘This is perhaps the most pointless and ill-conceived magazine show that has ever had money thrown at it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.