One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A device for igniting a fuel mixture in an engine.
- ‘The court was told two packets of igniters for fuel pellets for model rockets, found in his flat in Perth, could have been used to set off a truck bomb.’
- ‘A packet of high-powered rocket engine igniters had allegedly been seized from Mr Roche's home.’
- ‘Toward the last quarter of the race, the igniter on the engine started to fail, causing the car to lose power.’
- ‘You put in in the bottom of the rocket and attach an igniter.’
- ‘This in turn heats the air, turning it into the igniter (diesels don't have igniters such as spark plugs).’
2A device for causing an electric arc.
- ‘Glow igniters are a non-returnable and non-refundable electric component.’
- ‘Electric igniters are standard features on gas furnaces and cooking appliances because continuous pilot lights in those fixtures consume gas needlessly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.