One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A device for igniting a fuel mixture in an engine.
- ‘You put in in the bottom of the rocket and attach an igniter.’
- ‘The court was told two packets of igniters for fuel pellets for model rockets, found in his flat in Perth, could have been used to set off a truck bomb.’
- ‘Toward the last quarter of the race, the igniter on the engine started to fail, causing the car to lose power.’
- ‘This in turn heats the air, turning it into the igniter (diesels don't have igniters such as spark plugs).’
- ‘A packet of high-powered rocket engine igniters had allegedly been seized from Mr Roche's home.’
2A device for causing an electric arc.
- ‘Electric igniters are standard features on gas furnaces and cooking appliances because continuous pilot lights in those fixtures consume gas needlessly.’
- ‘Glow igniters are a non-returnable and non-refundable electric component.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.