One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of rock) having solidified from lava or magma.
- ‘This heat gradually accumulates and eventually causes localized eruptions of basaltic magmas (molten igneous rock).’
- ‘Major crustal rifting has also played a part in the evolution of large bodies of Proterozoic sedimentary and igneous rocks.’
- ‘Below the lowest sheet of largely coherent mafic igneous rocks is the Phyllite-Quartzite Group, a sequence of turbidites and black mudrocks.’
- ‘The occurrence of these felsic extrusive igneous rocks potentially provides key information on the complex interplay of magmatism and tectonics.’
- ‘The prevalence of Late Jurassic subduction-related igneous rocks indicates that arc formation and accretion orogeny were the most important processes during the evolution of this part of the Internal Hellenides.’
- 1.1 Relating to or involving volcanic processes.‘igneous activity’
- ‘On Macquarie Island there's very similar kind of geology, as I'm sure Rick has described; we have mantle rocks and evidence of punctuated deformation events in igneous activity.’
- ‘Rhyme, in particular, lay on a major NE-trending fault and local igneous activity may have provided the energy to sustain the hot springs.’
- ‘By the Early Devonian the Iapetus Ocean had closed and was replaced in northern Britain by an essentially transtensional regime with sinistral shearing, and accompanied by major igneous activity.’
- ‘However, enormous emphasis has been placed on them for understanding igneous processes and the evolution of Earth.’
- ‘The layering in these ultramafic rocks, and their position above mantle tectonites, is attributed to lower crustal igneous processes.’
- 1.2rare Of fire; fiery.
- ‘It is an igneous or fiery aura, not indeed in the open act of combustion, but composed of the finest and most minute particles of a peculiar species of elementary fire.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin igneus (from ignis ‘fire’) + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.