Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Very stupid.‘I was able to hum its idiotic theme tune’
stupid, silly, foolish, half-witted, witless, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, imprudent, incautious, irresponsible, injudicious, indiscreet, unwise, unintelligent, unreasonableill-advised, ill-considered, impolitic, rash, reckless, foolhardyabsurd, senseless, pointless, nonsensical, inane, fatuous, ridiculous, laughable, risible, derisibledumb, dim, dim-witted, dopey, gormless, damfool, half-baked, hare-brained, crackbrained, pea-brained, wooden-headed, thickheaded, nutty, mad, crazy, dotty, batty, dippy, cuckoo, screwy, wackybarmy, daftglaikitdumb-ass, chowderheadeddotishView synonyms
- ‘I think it's an idiotic idea but that's okay there are lots of stupid things in the world.’
- ‘Everything is illegal unless approved by the government, thus the reason for such idiotic regulations and directives.’
- ‘God, everyone still has the ability to make me feel guilty and make me feel like this whole stupid, idiotic thing is all my fault!’
- ‘So I thank all those people who got upset and told their friends to read what idiotic things I had written.’
- ‘They were idiotic, pathetic, short-sighted and unimaginative, but at least they were predictable.’
- ‘Investors panicked over it as a consumer application and jumped on the idiotic enterprise bandwagon.’
- ‘And most of it was neither true, nor even remotely plausible, before Hollywood got hold of it and made it even more idiotic.’
- ‘He showed his excitement and joy through idiotic dancing and head banging.’
- ‘It's idiotic, but idiocy in the defence of freedom is no vice.’
- ‘I really don't want to start talking about the myriad varieties of idiotic people I'm forced to encounter every day.’
- ‘It would be embarrassing to look back and realise that I had put my idiotic thoughts up in a public place.’
- ‘We move now from the sublimely idiotic to the merely malicious and stupid.’
- ‘What idiotic councillors gave planning permission for that?’
- ‘It was not just any sub, but it was Mr. Roberts, the stupidest and most idiotic of all substitutes.’
- ‘Suddenly, the starting rockets go off and some crazy, idiotic people actually run towards the bulls.’
- ‘Easy to say and easy to understand but the media are surely aware that there will always be an idiotic minority who do not comprehend this simple truth.’
- ‘Well, now the kidnapping of the French hostages provides the clearest repudiation of that idiotic and ignorant opinion.’
- ‘Enemies running the range from thoughtful to downright idiotic.’
- ‘If you did, you would know that the sound quality varies so greatly, that a statement like that is idiotic.’
- ‘Loosen your tie and repeat idiotic mouthings until you're blue in the face.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.