One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the study or discovery of particular scientific facts and processes, as distinct from general laws.Often contrasted with nomothetic
- ‘In this sense, history is an idiographic temporal process involving individuals.’
- ‘The congruency hypothesis was supported for latencies on the interpersonal Stroop task but only when we conducted an idiographic analysis of schema-relevant adjectives.’
- ‘Existentialism, in its broadest terms, is both idiographic and nomothetic - it is about personal will and humanity.’
- ‘They argue that as a tool of understanding rather than explanation, activity theory is supported primarily by means of idiographic, qualitative, and/or case studies.’
- ‘They do not need to be convinced that such idiographic and quantitative information is relevant-it is relevant because it gives them valuable and necessary information.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.