One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fraudulent acquisition and use of a person's private identifying information, usually for financial gain.
- ‘The rise of identity theft and misuse of intellectual property has fueled smart card popularity as well.’
- ‘Using identity theft to generate finance agreements to purchase BMWs, Jaguars, etc was pretty smart.’
- ‘Their goal is identity theft, and to defraud the person who has become infected with the virus.’
- ‘In response to the growing crime epidemic, many states have passed laws related to identity theft.’
- ‘It is estimated that identity theft currently costs the financial services industry £400m a year.’
- ‘The extra step is far less trouble than cleaning up after an identity theft.’
- ‘The collected details are used for credit card fraud and identity theft.’
- ‘It has to be said that, as crimes go, identity theft hardly lends itself to riveting drama in the same way as armed robbery or drug dealing.’
- ‘We're seeing a huge increase in identity theft and associated financial theft.’
- ‘Have you been the victim of identity theft or credit card fraud?’
- ‘The thieves run scams in two ways: outright identity theft and impersonation fraud.’
- ‘If you do become a victim of identity theft place a fraud alert with one of the three major credit agencies.’
- ‘They were accused of using stolen and falsified credit cards, identity theft and banking fraud.’
- ‘Sometimes these calls are used to gather information for equipment or identity theft.’
- ‘Three recent revelations have driven home just how pervasive, and dangerous, identity theft can be.’
- ‘The single greatest deterrent to identity theft is probably a paper shredder.’
- ‘You can get plenty of other help in resolving identity theft without spending a dime.’
- ‘It would lower the risk of consumer identity theft and unauthorized corporate system access.’
- ‘Many people innocently believe that they're safe from credit card fraud and identity theft in the brick and mortar world.’
- ‘The mandate of the unit is telemarketing fraud, identity theft, and the Nigerian scam.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.