One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural A tendency for people of a particular religion, race, social background, etc., to form exclusive political alliances, moving away from traditional broad-based party politics.
- ‘There are a few folks in various splinter groups practicing identity politics.’
- ‘It was identity politics, the politics of the special interest groups, of the disadvantaged groups.’
- ‘One of the play's chief merits is that it does not retreat into the type of identity politics generally pushed by so many Asian and black commentators and artists.’
- ‘In the process, women get caught up in nationalist politics in different ways, and identity politics come to impact on gender relations.’
- ‘The magazine also features an essay on New Zealand film Whale Rider, directed by Niki Caro, and its promotion of identity politics.’
- ‘They have joined new social movements and have chosen identity politics rather than partisan politics.’
- ‘The progressive establishment is critical of people who openly discuss questions of race, culture and identity politics.’
- ‘In a recent article in the New York Review of Books, Barenboim attacks the current fashion for identity politics and cultural nationalism.’
- ‘This was neither social democracy nor the Old or New Left, neither identity politics nor vanguardism.’
- ‘Doing so with identity politics or cultural differences is a loser's game.’
- ‘Third, it sent a message about the importance of what might be called identity politics or the politics of behaviour.’
- ‘The scripts of political mobilisation and identity politics do not cease even in the face of a common suffering.’
- ‘Why, he asks, are the identity politics of gender or race not vulnerable to the same sort of anti-essentialist critique?’
- ‘It is one short step from parochial affiliations to local mafias that rely on clanship, clientalism, and identity politics.’
- ‘When are you going to learn that a focus on social liberalism and identity politics is the tool of the elite?’
- ‘They have been annexed to any number of political currents, particularly around identity politics.’
- ‘For those interested in identity politics, there were sessions on black liberation and feminism.’
- ‘Our party opposes the various strains of identity politics and stands firmly in support of integration and the unity of all working people.’
- ‘Discussion increasingly focuses on identity politics and the question of differences between women as well as between women and men.’
- ‘Yet identity politics disallows political analysis or criticism of identities which are profoundly political.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.