One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Finely powdered sugar used to make icing.
- ‘In a similar way, following the discovery of anthrax spores in US mail, everything from talcum powder to icing sugar to sand became the focus for an international panic.’
- ‘Just before serving, gently whip the double cream, icing sugar and vanilla until it just starts to thicken.’
- ‘Place the couscous and icing sugar in a large heatproof bowl.’
- ‘Their capsicums or bell peppers are merely our sweet peppers, scallions are our spring onions, shrimps are our prawns, and confectioner's sugar is our icing sugar.’
- ‘To serve, stack two slices on each warm plate, dust with icing sugar and spoon the strawberries over the top.’
- ‘But make it properly with eggs and unsalted butter, not with salted butter and too much icing sugar in the English teashop style.’
- ‘Place a serving plate on top, flip the pan over, shake it to dislodge any recalcitrant apples and serve with a dusting of icing sugar, a dollop of crème fraîche and a sprig of fresh mint.’
- ‘Then sprinkle generously with sifted icing sugar and drizzle with olive oil.’
- ‘Dust with a mix of icing sugar and cinnamon and serve at once - piping hot.’
- ‘If you can, dust them with icing sugar 20 minutes ahead so they start to bring out their natural sugars, which will caramelise better.’
- ‘Cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar to serve.’
- ‘There were just four ingredients: icing sugar, egg white, peppermint essence and green colouring.’
- ‘In our house, a pound of icing sugar made about seven peppermint creams.’
- ‘Beat the brandy and icing sugar into the mascarpone and chill.’
- ‘Beat whites with caster sugar till stiff, sift icing sugar and cornflour together and fold into egg white mixture.’
- ‘To make the pastry, sift together the flour and icing sugar and cut the butter into cubes.’
- ‘They also make a good quick dessert, tossed in icing sugar then caramelised for a few minutes in a piping hot nonstick pan.’
- ‘I suggest a tablespoon of icing sugar, but taste it for sweetness as you go.’
- ‘Put the mascarpone and icing sugar in the bowl of a food mixer and beat smooth.’
- ‘It is best served simply with a light dusting of icing sugar, and maybe some sliced plums or fresh chopped pears in syrup.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.