Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of zoology that deals with fishes.
- ‘There is something for everyone, whether their interest is in electronics, engineering, palaeontology, biology, genetics, chemistry, ichthyology, supersonics, space, aliens or anything else of - or indeed not of - this planet.’
- ‘Zoogeography integrates a variety of disciplines within ichthyology (ecology, physiology, systematics, paleontology, geology and biogeography) to explain patterns of fish distribution.’
- ‘The range and detail of information in this book will make it a valued library addition to students of anatomy and physiology as well as those specializing in ichthyology.’
- ‘The histories of botany, ornithology, ichthyology etc. follow similar patterns.’
- ‘To return to from impressionism to ichthyology, I am suggesting that behavioral and ecological characters of living fishes may be useful to understanding the evolution of Esociformes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.