One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A chilled box or cupboard for keeping something cold, especially food.
- ‘A good skipper will have a plentiful supply of bottled water in the icebox, but it is as well to check before leaving port that he had laid in enough to last the day.’
- ‘Nobody is kicking down your door, confiscating your icebox and saying you can't drink into the wee hours.’
- ‘I'm already thirsty for another frosty cool one from Hardway's icebox.’
- ‘I praised his courage, because it's not easy to carry the heavy icebox up to the top of mountain.’
- ‘Beryl spit out a mouthful of kibble and hid behind the antique icebox that never had any ice.’
- ‘‘He's against it,’ replied Coolidge coolly as he reached in the icebox for a beer.’
- ‘She then offered to help him carry the icebox where the fishes were.’
- ‘What did you think I was practicing for, when Dad needs extra ice for the icebox?’
- ‘The cupboards all matched, unlike Toni and Carina's mismatched, random cupboards and iceboxes.’
- ‘She looked around the small kitchen before she opened the cabinets and the icebox and saw that they were empty.’
- ‘Griffith ignored him and opened one of the iceboxes at the corner of the tiny kitchen.’
- ‘In my nightmares, I hid in an icebox, but they found me anyway.’
- ‘Evil slams down the piano, and grabs the icebox.’
- ‘The icebox is a 54-quart portable cooler that fits beneath the companionway steps.’
- ‘Reaching down, he opened an icebox, and then brought up a slab of meat.’
- ‘Against the back of this room was a cupboard for storage, a stove, and an icebox.’
- ‘The icebox only consisted of a wooden box with ice surrounding it.’
- 1.1US dated A refrigerator.
- ‘While the pie was baking, she removed some vegetables and meat from the icebox to prepare for dinner.’
- ‘May, could you please get some eggs out of the icebox?’
- ‘People might have had iceboxes, but the very first home ‘fridges’ were not invented until 1913 and not mass-produced until 1939.’
- ‘But in other parts of the world, consumers with small iceboxes chug their milk from a rectangular drink box kept in the pantry.’
- ‘How about a refrigerator that goes back to the old icebox concept and stores coolness in a block of frozen material during certain hours?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.