One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A light, wind-driven vehicle with sails and runners, used for traveling on ice.
- ‘And when the water gets hard only the iceboat crowd is smiling.’
- ‘Modern iceboats have been reported to reach 90 miles per hour, but in 1938 an official speed record was set that still holds.’
- ‘There's a comfortable ranch house with an Explorer, an Expedition, and a Vanagon in the driveway and an iceboat in the garage.’
2A boat used for breaking ice on a waterway; an icebreaker.
- ‘He's worked on patrol boats in Florida and scuba-dived under the North Pole, but piloting an iceboat still gets his adrenaline pumping.’
- ‘The iceboat's chief, Captain Daniel K. Oliver, picked up his binoculars and took in the view from the Healy's bridge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.