One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lettuce of a variety having a dense round head of crisp pale leaves.
- ‘Bring on the day when undressed iceberg lettuce with cucumber and grated carrot are consigned to the dustbin.’
- ‘A salad is no longer simply a side dish - an uninspiring bowl of iceberg lettuce slathered with bottled dressing.’
- ‘We just like iceberg lettuce with ranch dressing.’
- ‘For a change from the basic iceberg lettuce salad, why not combine two or three greens for variety in taste and texture.’
- ‘Banish iceberg lettuce from your sandwiches and salads; it has about as much nutritional value as it has taste.’
- ‘I can't get enough of these hot, spicy little patties, which I like to stuff between soft bread rolls or, better still, into crisp curls of iceberg lettuce.’
- ‘Salads of pre-package iceberg lettuce doused with Seven Seas red wine vinaigrette round out my Proustian recollections.’
- ‘‘They're pumping water for growing iceberg lettuce in the desert,’ exclaims Galvin.’
- ‘My dad was definitely an iceberg lettuce and cherry tomato kind of guy.’
- ‘In fact, it is now cheaper to import broccoli and iceberg lettuce than locally-grown cauliflower or lettuce.’
- ‘We all know the disdain with which we view pale and insipid iceberg lettuce.’
- ‘The green salad bordered on a non-event thanks to the iceberg lettuce, but the orange-tinged dressing had a nice sesame scent to it.’
- ‘It's easy to mock Delia, for she's crisp as an iceberg lettuce, prim as a poached egg.’
- ‘The Greek Mac consists of two burgers wrapped in a pita with yogurt sauce, tomato slices, iceberg lettuce and onions.’
- ‘The rice was flavoured with tomato and spices and the salad was of crisp iceberg lettuce lightly drizzled with a mustard dressing.’
- ‘The chef's salad was mostly iceberg lettuce - depressing in the winter, but a cooling crunch in the summer - with a zingy vinaigrette.’
- ‘The bed of leaves was chopped iceberg lettuce, but ‘leaves’ makes you feel like you really are eating something exotic.’
- ‘As for protein, consider bean salads such as black beans tossed in fresh salsa and wrapped in large iceberg lettuce leaves.’
- ‘If your idea of salad is a few leaves of iceberg lettuce in an ocean of Thousand Island dressing, it's time for a change.’
- ‘What makes me really sad is that one leaf of kale packs more nutrition than the heaping bowl of iceberg lettuce it surrounds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.