One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lettuce of a variety having a dense round head of crisp pale leaves.
- ‘‘They're pumping water for growing iceberg lettuce in the desert,’ exclaims Galvin.’
- ‘For a change from the basic iceberg lettuce salad, why not combine two or three greens for variety in taste and texture.’
- ‘Banish iceberg lettuce from your sandwiches and salads; it has about as much nutritional value as it has taste.’
- ‘It's easy to mock Delia, for she's crisp as an iceberg lettuce, prim as a poached egg.’
- ‘Bring on the day when undressed iceberg lettuce with cucumber and grated carrot are consigned to the dustbin.’
- ‘If your idea of salad is a few leaves of iceberg lettuce in an ocean of Thousand Island dressing, it's time for a change.’
- ‘The Greek Mac consists of two burgers wrapped in a pita with yogurt sauce, tomato slices, iceberg lettuce and onions.’
- ‘I can't get enough of these hot, spicy little patties, which I like to stuff between soft bread rolls or, better still, into crisp curls of iceberg lettuce.’
- ‘My dad was definitely an iceberg lettuce and cherry tomato kind of guy.’
- ‘The chef's salad was mostly iceberg lettuce - depressing in the winter, but a cooling crunch in the summer - with a zingy vinaigrette.’
- ‘In fact, it is now cheaper to import broccoli and iceberg lettuce than locally-grown cauliflower or lettuce.’
- ‘A salad is no longer simply a side dish - an uninspiring bowl of iceberg lettuce slathered with bottled dressing.’
- ‘The green salad bordered on a non-event thanks to the iceberg lettuce, but the orange-tinged dressing had a nice sesame scent to it.’
- ‘The bed of leaves was chopped iceberg lettuce, but ‘leaves’ makes you feel like you really are eating something exotic.’
- ‘The rice was flavoured with tomato and spices and the salad was of crisp iceberg lettuce lightly drizzled with a mustard dressing.’
- ‘We just like iceberg lettuce with ranch dressing.’
- ‘What makes me really sad is that one leaf of kale packs more nutrition than the heaping bowl of iceberg lettuce it surrounds.’
- ‘As for protein, consider bean salads such as black beans tossed in fresh salsa and wrapped in large iceberg lettuce leaves.’
- ‘We all know the disdain with which we view pale and insipid iceberg lettuce.’
- ‘Salads of pre-package iceberg lettuce doused with Seven Seas red wine vinaigrette round out my Proustian recollections.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.