One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Water melted from ice or with ice added to cool it.
- ‘Take glass of water from freezer and pour 2 tablespoons of ice water, sprinkle it on flour.’
- ‘Immediately place it in ice water (a process called ‘shocking’).’
- ‘Transfer the eggs to a bowl filled with ice water and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes, until thoroughly cooled.’
- ‘Shock in ice water, drain and slice horizontally into thirds.’
- ‘In the fifth round on January 4, melting ice water knocked the fish off feeding on the Marsh Canal.’
- ‘If you're concerned about bacteria on raw bean sprouts, immerse them in boiling water, drain immediately, immerse in ice water, and drain when cold.’
- ‘Shock in ice water to prevent them from further cooking.’
- ‘Soak your feet or hands in cold water, but not ice water, for 15 minutes, twice a day.’
- ‘Most of my peas are frozen for later use (cleaned, blanched for two minutes in boiling water, cooled in ice water, drained and put into freezer containers).’
- ‘Remove from the ice water and gently drain on paper towels.’
- ‘They were blanched in boiling salted water, refreshed in ice water, and then warmed in the garlic herb oil.’
- ‘Blanch parsley for 45 seconds, then immediately shock in ice water and drain.’
- ‘She shivered as the cool air hit her like ice water.’
- ‘Nest pan in a bowl of ice water and stir mixture until it's cool but still fluid, about 3 minutes.’
- ‘Remove the spatzle with a slotted spoon and place in ice water to shock and cool; drain and set aside.’
- ‘Some scientists have considered whether melting ice water at the poles passes through to the core and causes massive explosions, possibly reversing the poles.’
- ‘Keep the carrot sticks in ice water and they won't bend up so bad.’
- ‘Some cooks use strong black coffee; others stir in one teaspoon of brown sugar until it caramelizes, then add the ice water.’
- ‘Shock the asparagus in ice water and untie immediately.’
- ‘The rag felt good on the back of her neck and the ice water was very much welcomed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.