Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Skating on ice as a sport or pastime. Ice skating became a recognized sport in 1876. Skaters are marked for technical and artistic excellence in performing a series of prescribed patterns and free skating (figure skating) or a choreographed series of dance moves (ice dancing)
- ‘As in ice skating, women's gymnastics has a component of showmanship in it.’
- ‘I just saw ice skating as a way to refine my technique and become a better inline skater.’
- ‘Katie Brown has moved to a private school on the East Coast to improve her ice skating.’
- ‘Skiing is Austria's leading winter sport, followed by ice skating and tobogganing.’
- ‘OCD is also planning a number of activities next term, including bowling, ice skating and tobogganing.’
- ‘Often would miss his first class from fifth through seventh grade because of morning ice skating practices that ran long.’
- ‘Winter sports include Nordic and cross-country skiing, ice skating, and ice hockey.’
- ‘Her schedule was filled with dance, ice skating, piano lessons, swim team and soccer.’
- ‘Many people enjoy winter sports such as ice skating and skiing.’
- ‘We ride bikes, we go play tennis together, and in the winter we go ice skating.’
- ‘In addition to cross county skiing, winter activities include dogsledding, ice skating and tobogganing.’
- ‘Advice on being a ‘muscle mermaid’, the thrills of ice skating in summer and where cheerleading sits in society, are just for starters.’
- ‘When I was in Brisbane recently I decided I wanted to go ice skating with Steven Bradbury.’
- ‘There are tobogganing, cleared walks, ice skating, indoor tennis and sleigh rides nearby, if they fancy a break from the slopes.’
- ‘So does dancing, ice skating, snow ball throwing, and skiing/snowboarding.’
- ‘A larger, more substantial pond is being built south of Olson Memorial and will offer ice skating in winter.’
- ‘A Match Of The Day regular, he also commentates on ice skating, ice hockey and badminton.’
- ‘We could also have a fish pond for aquaculture, fishing, swimming in the summer and ice skating in the winter.’
- ‘The passport covers gyms, classes, swimming, ice skating, athletics track, climbing wall and more.’
- ‘From the fast-paced danger of downhill skiing to more graceful ice skating, the games are already an action-packed pageant.’
ice skating/ˈīs ˌskādiNG/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.