Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Skating on ice as a sport or pastime. Ice skating became a recognized sport in 1876. Skaters are marked for technical and artistic excellence in performing a series of prescribed patterns and free skating (figure skating) or a choreographed series of dance moves (ice dancing)
- ‘Winter sports include Nordic and cross-country skiing, ice skating, and ice hockey.’
- ‘Advice on being a ‘muscle mermaid’, the thrills of ice skating in summer and where cheerleading sits in society, are just for starters.’
- ‘A larger, more substantial pond is being built south of Olson Memorial and will offer ice skating in winter.’
- ‘From the fast-paced danger of downhill skiing to more graceful ice skating, the games are already an action-packed pageant.’
- ‘As in ice skating, women's gymnastics has a component of showmanship in it.’
- ‘A Match Of The Day regular, he also commentates on ice skating, ice hockey and badminton.’
- ‘Often would miss his first class from fifth through seventh grade because of morning ice skating practices that ran long.’
- ‘We could also have a fish pond for aquaculture, fishing, swimming in the summer and ice skating in the winter.’
- ‘Her schedule was filled with dance, ice skating, piano lessons, swim team and soccer.’
- ‘When I was in Brisbane recently I decided I wanted to go ice skating with Steven Bradbury.’
- ‘Katie Brown has moved to a private school on the East Coast to improve her ice skating.’
- ‘We ride bikes, we go play tennis together, and in the winter we go ice skating.’
- ‘So does dancing, ice skating, snow ball throwing, and skiing/snowboarding.’
- ‘OCD is also planning a number of activities next term, including bowling, ice skating and tobogganing.’
- ‘Many people enjoy winter sports such as ice skating and skiing.’
- ‘Skiing is Austria's leading winter sport, followed by ice skating and tobogganing.’
- ‘I just saw ice skating as a way to refine my technique and become a better inline skater.’
- ‘The passport covers gyms, classes, swimming, ice skating, athletics track, climbing wall and more.’
- ‘In addition to cross county skiing, winter activities include dogsledding, ice skating and tobogganing.’
- ‘There are tobogganing, cleared walks, ice skating, indoor tennis and sleigh rides nearby, if they fancy a break from the slopes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.