One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fast contact sport played on an ice rink between two teams of six skaters, who attempt to drive a small rubber disk (the puck) into the opposing goal with hooked or angled sticks. It developed in Canada in the 19th century.
- ‘Players need to be brave as well as bright, and adherents claim it is the second fastest team sport in the world, after ice hockey.’
- ‘They actually turn up at stadiums to cheer their baseball and football and ice hockey teams.’
- ‘There is even a newish ice rink and ice hockey team, called the Belfast Giants.’
- ‘Then we hope that we can build up or form ice hockey teams, and run regular competitions.’
- ‘Two female ice skaters practicing on the ice are crowded off of it by the arrival of two male ice hockey teams.’
- ‘The city breeds ice-hockey players, speed skaters, gold-medal wrestlers, world-champion ice-speedway riders, and mammoth rugby forwards.’
- ‘They are destined to be outshone forever by a bunch of under-achievers known as the Maple Leafs, the city's ice hockey team.’
- ‘While training to run a half-marathon, Beej is playing on a men's ice hockey team.’
- ‘The University of Waterloo is now proud to have a women's ice hockey team.’
- ‘He captained the Swindon Cubs under-tens ice hockey team to the national finals last season.’
- ‘Texol also sponsors the local Dundee Texol Stars ice hockey team.’
- ‘Nobody from Blackburn Hawks ice hockey team was available for comment.’
- ‘Other nations, like Slovenia, are more interested in ice hockey, skiing or basketball.’
- ‘The aim is to provide ice skating and ice hockey training for schools in West Bradford.’
- ‘The bonds which exist between Canada and ice hockey extend far beyond mere sport and spectator.’
- ‘We also had two decent standard athletics clubs, two half decent ice-hockey teams and Britain's second best ice dancers.’
- ‘Protesters had hoped the new rink would open at the same time for all the ice skaters and ice hockey players who train there.’
- ‘Sweden finally beat Canada at the world ice hockey championship but there was no gold medal at stake on Saturday.’
- ‘He bought the football club and then spent millions of pounds adding rugby, basketball and ice-hockey teams.’
- ‘Some rated it as possibly even more important than Canada's 1972 Olympic ice hockey victory over Russia.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.