Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of choreographed figure skating influenced by ballroom dancing, typically performed by a man and a woman competing as a team.
- ‘In pairs skating and ice dancing, acute injuries occurred more often than overuse syndromes.’
- ‘There is too much rush from one move to the next in today's ice dancing.’
- ‘The Italians' unceremonious drop to fourth place is unheard of in the world of ice dancing.’
- ‘Both of us are competing in the solo ice dancing.’
- ‘‘I'm fortunate to have a mom who knows ice dancing and can give me feedback,’ Lauren noted.’
- ‘Moxley later switched to ice dancing and competed in senior dance with Alexander Kirsanov.’
- ‘I think ice dancing was made for me because I'm able to express the emotions I'm feeling to an audience.’
- ‘Before even learning the basics of skating she was already trying her hand at ice dancing.’
- ‘‘I like to skate with a partner and I also love the theatrical side of ice dancing,’ he said.’
- ‘She looks hopeless, but probably had the kind of privileged upbringing where she had professional ice dancing lessons every day.’
- ‘But I was afraid of the jumps, so my trainer told me to go to ice dancing when I couldn't land an axel.’
- ‘She competed in singles until she was twelve, when she started ice dancing.’
- ‘Figure skating includes four disciplines - singles men and ladies skating, pairs skating, and ice dancing.’
- ‘Her parents, Carol and Robert, are former ice dancers who competed at the Olympic Games when ice dancing was an exhibition sport.’
- ‘I started ice dancing when I was nine and had a few other partners before I started with Alexei.’
- ‘She began ice dancing because she didn't like jumping.’
- ‘He was a singles skater for seven years, but switched to ice dancing when he was 15.’
- ‘The result was a 5-4 decision that gave Canada its first world championship in ice dancing.’
- ‘She offers thorough guidance on singles, ice dancing, and pairs, and she offers valid advice on synchronized skating.’
- ‘So it is no surprise that ice dancing, not freestyle skating, is king in Lake Placid in August.’
- ‘‘I have always been an ice dancer,’ McCullough stated.’
- ‘O'Keefe's older sister, Keelin, is a gold level ice dancer, but no longer competes since she is attending the U.S. Air Force Academy.’
- ‘‘I spent most of my early skating years, before becoming an ice dancer, doing singles,’ Roberts said.’
- ‘But I didn't have the desire to be an ice dancer and I'm too tall for pairs.’
- ‘My father wanted me to be a dancer and my mother wanted me to be a skater so I became an ice dancer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.