One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A covering of ice over a large area, especially on the polar region of a planet.
- ‘Other images in the new series show planetwide dust storms and the springtime retreat of the south polar ice cap.’
- ‘She was able to tell us that we found a strange creature, aged millions of years, in the Polar ice cap.’
- ‘It came from the Taylor Glacier, an enormous river of ice flowing off the polar ice cap into Antarctica's Taylor Valley.’
- ‘This reduced the mixing of warm, tropical ocean water and cold, polar water causing the buildup of the Antarctic polar ice cap.’
- ‘The dislodging of a large portion of the ice cap could raise the sea level by meters to tens of meters over the following several years.’
- ‘The southern hemisphere is dominated by a polar ice cap, probably composed of nitrogen.’
- ‘Hey, this guy was cold for about a week at the beginning of the season, and now the polar ice cap is receding because of him.’
- ‘The ice cap is melting, the polar bears are doomed, Australia is looking at a year-round bushfire season, and still they drive on.’
- ‘The low-pressure system results in white fluffy snow, which appears as a very bright region over the ice cap.’
- ‘Mawson looked spectacular with the mountain ranges popping out of the ice cap behind the station.’
- ‘The Antarctic ice cap began to form much later than the valleys did, about 34 million years ago.’
- ‘Much of the island's interior lies beneath a vast ice cap that in some places is up to 9,800 feet thick.’
- ‘The international team set out from Hercules inlet on the edge of the Antarctic ice cap at the beginning of December.’
- ‘They have a few minutes to decide whether to continue to the ice cap or turn around and fly back to New Zealand.’
- ‘Nearly 77% of the freshwater on earth is frozen in the Antarctic ice cap and Greenland.’
- ‘Similarly, polar ice cap melting will raise ocean levels, alter weather patterns and small island nations will vanish under the sea.’
- ‘Dominated by low-growing vegetation, tundra is a habitat that extends from the polar ice cap south to the boreal forest.’
- ‘The volume of the ice cap covering the Arctic Ocean has shrunk by more than 40 per cent over the last 35 years.’
- ‘It turned out, however, that the ocean bottom was not so much the lost world that they sought, but rather a lake under an ice cap.’
- ‘Another piece of contrary evidence was the timing of the Antarctic ice cap's formation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.