Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(especially of a liquid) very cold; as cold as ice.‘there is plenty of ice-cold beer’
icy, freezing, bitterly cold, glacial, sub-zero, frozen, wintryarctic, polar, siberianbitter, biting, piercing, raw, cutting, chillyrefreshing, bracing, invigoratingchill, froregelid, brumal, rimy, algidView synonyms
- ‘I completely submerged myself in the ice-cold water, but resurfaced feeling refreshed and quickly dried out.’
- ‘Some of the shadow cascaded over Sandra, sending an ice-cold chill down her spine.’
- ‘All you need do then is top up with ice-cold fizzy lemonade, or ginger beer if you prefer.’
- ‘Toronto has just launched a pioneering project to air-condition downtown office buildings by using ice-cold water from Lake Ontario.’
- ‘After hours in the desert sun under body armor, the chow-halls insult them with massive ice-cold slabs of non-alcoholic beer.’
- ‘The bell on the door tinkled and a gust of bitter, ice-cold air blew in, teasing the back of my neck.’
- ‘An ice-cold glass of cranberry juice makes a tasty, refreshing, and healthful drink on a warm spring day.’
- ‘They're smooth and refreshing, at their best when served ice-cold.’
- ‘Before you start whining about the hassle involved, grab an ice-cold lemonade and chill out.’
- ‘He set the puck aside and took a seat next to Cory, clutching an ice-cold root beer.’
- ‘You can also feel the ice-cold walls of the Polar Gallery and discover how global warming might affect where you live.’
- ‘The ice-cold foam swept over their feet sending chills down their spines.’
- ‘The chill of ice-cold water runs through my fingertips and spreads itself throughout my blood vessels like an incurable disease.’
- ‘Ayurveda recommends avoiding cold drinks at meals and ice-cold foods in general.’
- ‘The salty blood was replaced by ice-cold, refreshing cleanliness of the water and his fear subsided.’
- ‘Time seems to stop as an ice-cold chill of fear runs down my spine.’
- ‘A long, cold shower provided a quick fix, but after the ice-cold spray, his body still charged with restless energy.’
- ‘Avoid cold or ice-cold foods, as cold foods and drinks douse the digestive fire and decreases immunity.’
- ‘We were going to Little Italy and ordering a king-sized pizza pie, and ice-cold beer for everyone.’
- ‘What could be nicer, however, than supping an ice-cold beer overlooking the harbour on the hottest day of the year?’
2Unemotional or dispassionate; unfeeling.‘he is the epitome of ice-cold judgment’
- ‘There are five kills on the list for this ice-cold murderer, and he's not gonna let his cab driver go home until they're all crossed out.’
- ‘It was not evil, but cunning and cold, and Jaro new, with ice-cold certainty, that if he saw it in the eye, his soul would be shattered.’
- ‘They mistake your steely shield for an ice-cold attitude.’
- ‘Even Daryl Hannah, as the ice-cold assassin Elle Driver, with her eye patch bears more than a passing resemblance to Ford himself.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.