One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wild goat with long, thick ridged horns and a beard, found in the mountains of the Alps, Pyrenees, central Asia, and Ethiopia.
- ‘She says deer, elk, Nubian ibex, antelope, bison and yak are particular favourites for canned hunters.’
- ‘At the top is an Ovis Amman, then two markhoors (wild goats), an ibex, and two Tibetan antelope.’
- ‘Nature lovers take note, the area is home to the grey wolf, Blandford's fox, the sand cat and the ibex, as well as 110 recorded species of birds.’
- ‘A line engraving of an ibex - a type of deer - resembles cave art found at the world-famous Lascaux and Chauvet sites in France and Spain.’
- ‘The engraving may represent a rare sighting of an ibex that had strayed from south-west Europe.’
- ‘On the same jar, a drawing of a stylized tree with two grazing ibexes probably represents the goddess.’
- ‘I like this coat of arms that has a half an ibex on it.’
- ‘Looking up the gorge wall, I suddenly spotted an ibex nibbling at early spring shoots.’
- ‘Here, children learn how ancient artists used natural pigments such as ground earth to render their ‘cave paintings’ of bison, deer, ibex and more.’
- ‘The walia ibex exist only in or near the miniature Simen Mountains National Park.’
- ‘If you are lucky you may see an ibex, or wild mountain goat.’
- ‘Our initial assessment is that this is a figure of a male ibex, and its style suggests a date of 12,500-12,000 years ago.’
- ‘Like the baboons, the ibex had somehow learned to defy the odds.’
- ‘That the ibex are not killed for their wool would make a valuable statement.’
- ‘My favourite animal was the ibex, which appears in a number of cheeky incarnations throughout the chamber.’
- ‘And most of these animals are grass-eaters (herbivores): horses, bison, deer, reindeer and ibex.’
- ‘Favorite Tuvinian dishes feature heavy-antlered Siberian elk and Siberian ibex, among the largest of mountain goats.’
- ‘They almost pride themselves of not being able to tell a larch from a fir, a roe buck from an ibex.’
- ‘A hunter who killed a hundred ibex was a legend long after he died.’
- ‘Most of the panels include motifs of animals, principally aurochs, horse, ibex, and red deer.’
Early 17th century: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.