A proprietary technology that allows data to be transferred to and from Internet sites via mobile phones.
- ‘Html mail can be decorated with different backgrounds, text colors/sizes and photos, as well as animations downloaded from i-mode sites.’
- ‘Customers can surf i-mode sites, email and chat, download games, applications and ring tones and send and receive photos.’
- ‘Restructuring, new and faster phones, and a slow-but-steady expansion of its i-mode Internet mobile phones globally are having an effect.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, the number of i-mode accessible sites has increased consistently with the rise in the number of customers, currently numbering approximately 33,000 sites.’
- ‘One service permits bill-paying through popular i-mode mobile phones.’
Early 21st century: from I (referring to the user's ability to interact directly with the Internet) + mode.