Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A girder that has the shape of an I when viewed in section.
- ‘It consists of a pair of C-section pieces welded back-to-back at their perimeter to produce an I-beam cross-section.’
- ‘Looking up, he spotted a steel I-beam hanging just below street level.’
- ‘It is usually done with clips that extend out from the flange of the I-beam into the brick coursing.’
- ‘According to Clements, all of the inn's metal I-beams were either sold on-site or recovered for later use.’
- ‘First came the excitement of the snaking I-beams and a hint of the shape to come.’
- ‘It has these enormously heavy and large I-beams that structure it.’
- ‘Gawde's butterfly, perched on an I-beam, hovers between self and world.’
- ‘The contractor couldn't believe it when I didn't want to cover wood beams or iron I-beams.’
- ‘An I-beam is the most structurally efficient section for a MacPherson strut suspension arrangement.’
- ‘On instinct, Kevin hurtled over fallen rocks and I-beams in the monastery main hall until he was at Phoenix's side.’
- ‘Sparks fly and steam rises when the bars hit rollers that squeeze the metal into I-beams and rails.’
- ‘Three tubes branch from a cantilevered I-beam like an acrobat on a high wire to support the roof at the west corner.’
- ‘Under the plan, the leftover metal could end up in baby strollers, bikes, frying pans, engine blocks, and I-beams.’
- ‘The erection crew rented a 365-ton crane used to hoist the truss and steel I-beams into place.’
- ‘Every day, nursing home patients are tortured by caretakers and construction workers topple off I-beams.’
- ‘The load was a metal I-beam that weighed 8,000 pounds.’
- ‘The upright panels acknowledged the white I-beams, which participated in all but the most oblique view of the mural.’
- ‘Using salvage steel from the towers, the agency will simulate the force created by the airliner striking the building to see how the I-beams behaved.’
- ‘But last fall I had to slice some 6-inch I-beams at a salvage yard and yearned for more power.’
- ‘Next, he beefed up the combine's frame with 6-inch I-beams placed under the existing framework.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.