One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A surgical operation to remove all or part of the uterus.
- ‘Since then, she has had a hysterectomy and is no longer iron deficient.’
- ‘Laparoscopic hysterectomy may help to avoid a laparotomy, but urinary tract injury is a genuine concern.’
- ‘The alternative is a hysterectomy, removal of the womb, after which pregnancy is impossible.’
- ‘He got the eggs from bits of ovary that had been removed from women undergoing hysterectomies.’
- ‘This could have a major affect on the overall health status of women undergoing hysterectomies.’
- ‘A hysterectomy is a commonly performed operation to remove the uterus (womb).’
- ‘All six of the damaged ureters occurred in the laparoscopic hysterectomy arms.’
- ‘The mean number of laparoscopic hysterectomies per gynaecologist was therefore 13 over four years.’
- ‘Gynaecologists were free to choose a surgical hysterectomy technique.’
- ‘The decision to perform a hysterectomy should be based on measurable values.’
- ‘One of the fears of women considering a hysterectomy is whether their sexual function will be affected.’
- ‘And this was being used for other types of surgery including hysterectomies, laparoscopies and prolapse repairs.’
- ‘Women who want to have a baby can still do so after a cone biopsy, but not following a hysterectomy.’
- ‘She had a remote hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oopherectomy for benign disease.’
- ‘A hospital consultant carried out a scan which revealed a large growth which Dorcas needs a hysterectomy to remove.’
- ‘She also indicated that she had undergone a hysterectomy many years ago.’
- ‘What are the ethical considerations around obtaining Miss Webb's consent for a hysterectomy and what would be best practice here?’
- ‘In May the surgeons will know whether they have to perform a full hysterectomy and try to remove the bowel.’
- ‘I was given surprisingly little information, considering a hysterectomy is major surgery.’
- ‘Cervical cancer screening should be continued in women who have had a subtotal hysterectomy.’
Late 19th century: from Greek hustera ‘womb’ + -ectomy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.