One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An abnormally low concentration of oxygen in the blood.
- ‘Correcting a functional abnormality, such as hypoxemia with oxygen therapy, can preserve life while the lung undergoes healing.’
- ‘Indications for postoperative mechanical ventilation are respiratory acidosis, severe hypoxemia, atelectasis, and pneumonia.’
- ‘However, the mechanism of hypoxemia in liver disease may not be simple.’
- ‘The absence of tachypnoea is the most useful sign for ruling out pneumonia and hypoxaemia.’
- ‘In addition to the effects of hypoxemia, a major factor is excessive loading of the inspiratory muscles.’
- ‘People with borderline hypoxaemia at sea level may also need supplementary oxygen to avoid becoming compromised at altitude.’
- ‘Atelectasis can be responsible for fever and hypoxemia post-operatively.’
- ‘The patients with the worst lung function experienced more severe nocturnal hypoxemia with exacerbations.’
- ‘Adults with cystic fibrosis are susceptible to hypoxemia, hypercapnia, arousal from sleep, and neurobehavioral impairment.’
- ‘Hypoxemia is often observed in patients with chronic liver diseases in the absence of intrinsic lung disease.’
- 1.1Ecology Oxygen deficiency in a biotic environment.
- ‘Thermal stress causes systemic hypoxemia at both ends of the thermal window.’
Late 19th century: from hypo- (denoting an element in a low valency) + oxygen + -aemia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.