1An abnormally low concentration of oxygen in the blood.
- ‘In addition to the effects of hypoxemia, a major factor is excessive loading of the inspiratory muscles.’
- ‘Hypoxemia is often observed in patients with chronic liver diseases in the absence of intrinsic lung disease.’
- ‘However, the mechanism of hypoxemia in liver disease may not be simple.’
- ‘People with borderline hypoxaemia at sea level may also need supplementary oxygen to avoid becoming compromised at altitude.’
- ‘The patients with the worst lung function experienced more severe nocturnal hypoxemia with exacerbations.’
- 1.1Ecology Oxygen deficiency in a biotic environment.
- ‘Thermal stress causes systemic hypoxemia at both ends of the thermal window.’
Late 19th century: from hypo- (denoting an element in a low valency) + oxygen + -emia.