Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A compound that is an intermediate in the metabolism of purines in animals and occurs in plant tissues.
- ‘Nitrosative deamination of cytosine and adenine results in uracil and hypoxanthine, respectively.’
- ‘Adenine is converted to hypoxanthine at 2-3% of the rate of cytosine deamination.’
- ‘Synchronised cultures were exposed to superoxide anion generating system hypoxanthine and xanthine oxidase.’
- ‘The deamination product of adenine is hypoxanthine, and hypoxanthine base pairs with cytosine rather than thymine.’
- ‘Like arginine, hypoxanthine is a limiting N source.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.