One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a lower osmotic pressure than a particular fluid, typically a body fluid or intracellular fluid.
- ‘After 15 min five drops of methanol/acetic acid were added to the hypotonic solution to begin cell fixation.’
- ‘About 5 ml of hypotonic solution was added.’
- ‘To collect the cells, the cultures were centrifuged and treated with hypotonic solution for 30 min at 37°C.’
- ‘Thus, the photodamaged lysosomes and the normal ones will suffer the same level of osmotic stress in the same hypotonic sucrose medium.’
- ‘At the end of the culture period cells were harvested, exposed to a hypotonic solution and fixed in methanol/acetic acid.’
Of or in a state of abnormally low muscle tone.
- ‘On arrival, at 3 hours of age, he was hypotonic with tonic seizures of the upper extremities and bilaterally fixed, dilated pupils.’
- ‘Cerebral palsy takes the form of a hypotonic tetraplegia when the child has a mobility problem but with floppy muscles.’
- ‘The infant with botulism becomes progressively weak, hypotonic and hyporeflexic, showing bulbar and spinal nerve abnormalities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.