One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a lower osmotic pressure than a particular fluid, typically a body fluid or intracellular fluid.
- ‘Thus, the photodamaged lysosomes and the normal ones will suffer the same level of osmotic stress in the same hypotonic sucrose medium.’
- ‘At the end of the culture period cells were harvested, exposed to a hypotonic solution and fixed in methanol/acetic acid.’
- ‘To collect the cells, the cultures were centrifuged and treated with hypotonic solution for 30 min at 37°C.’
- ‘About 5 ml of hypotonic solution was added.’
- ‘After 15 min five drops of methanol/acetic acid were added to the hypotonic solution to begin cell fixation.’
Of or in a state of abnormally low muscle tone.
- ‘On arrival, at 3 hours of age, he was hypotonic with tonic seizures of the upper extremities and bilaterally fixed, dilated pupils.’
- ‘The infant with botulism becomes progressively weak, hypotonic and hyporeflexic, showing bulbar and spinal nerve abnormalities.’
- ‘Cerebral palsy takes the form of a hypotonic tetraplegia when the child has a mobility problem but with floppy muscles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.