Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development in children and adults.
- ‘She had a history of hypothyroidism and asthma.’
- ‘The commonest cause of hypothyroidism is an autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid gland (thyroiditis).’
- ‘Congenital hypothyroidism is a thyroid hormone deficiency that retards growth and brain development.’
- ‘Mental retardation may result if hypothyroidism goes untreated in the first few years of life.’
- ‘Rule out other causes such as claudication, disk disease, hypothyroidism, and myositis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.