Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the testing of the consequences of hypotheses, to determine whether the hypotheses themselves are false or acceptable.
- ‘Both were convinced that the great Newtonian synthesis was the fruit of a hypothetico-deductive method.’
- ‘Lewis's discovery of transvection is a perfect example of the hypothetico-deductive method.’
- ‘Moreover, in place of relativistic cosmology's inductive empiricism, Milne opted for a hypothetico-deductive rationalism.’
- ‘The logic of model-building is more complex than that engaged in the hypothetico-deductive method.’
- ‘His influence helped to transform the discipline from a largely comparative hypothetico-deductive approach to a rigorous and more objective science.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.