Relating to the testing of the consequences of hypotheses, to determine whether the hypotheses themselves are false or acceptable.
- ‘Both were convinced that the great Newtonian synthesis was the fruit of a hypothetico-deductive method.’
- ‘Lewis's discovery of transvection is a perfect example of the hypothetico-deductive method.’
- ‘Moreover, in place of relativistic cosmology's inductive empiricism, Milne opted for a hypothetico-deductive rationalism.’
- ‘The logic of model-building is more complex than that engaged in the hypothetico-deductive method.’
- ‘His influence helped to transform the discipline from a largely comparative hypothetico-deductive approach to a rigorous and more objective science.’