The theory, methods, and practice of testing a hypothesis by comparing it with the null hypothesis. The null hypothesis is only rejected if its probability falls below a predetermined significance level, in which case the hypothesis being tested is said to have that level of significance.
- ‘Smoothing measures that implement Fisher's method for multiple hypothesis testing were used.’
- ‘This will permit hypothesis testing about the evolutionary significance of character change and suites of traits.’
- ‘Graphs often communicate statistical information used in hypothesis testing and making inferences based on probabilities.’
- ‘The methods for hypothesis testing described above have generally been applied to single traits.’
- ‘Mastermind involves hypothesis testing and deductive reasoning, he notes.’