Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The theory, methods, and practice of testing a hypothesis by comparing it with the null hypothesis. The null hypothesis is only rejected if its probability falls below a predetermined significance level, in which case the hypothesis being tested is said to have that level of significance.
- ‘Mastermind involves hypothesis testing and deductive reasoning, he notes.’
- ‘This will permit hypothesis testing about the evolutionary significance of character change and suites of traits.’
- ‘The methods for hypothesis testing described above have generally been applied to single traits.’
- ‘Graphs often communicate statistical information used in hypothesis testing and making inferences based on probabilities.’
- ‘Smoothing measures that implement Fisher's method for multiple hypothesis testing were used.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.