Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The condition of having an abnormally low body temperature, typically one that is dangerously low.
frostbite, cold, hypothermiaView synonyms
- ‘The winter could bring hypothermia, pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses.’
- ‘It is when body energy is exhausted that hypothermia becomes potentially life-threatening.’
- ‘The couple had succumbed to a combination of infection and hypothermia.’
- ‘As with heatstroke, hypothermia and frostbite victims should always be given medical help.’
- ‘Whether it was the beginnings of altitude sickness, hypothermia, or simply fatigue I have no idea.’
Late 19th century: from hypo- below + Greek thermē heat.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.