The condition of having an abnormally low body temperature, typically one that is dangerously low.
frostbite, coldView synonyms
- ‘It is when body energy is exhausted that hypothermia becomes potentially life-threatening.’
- ‘The couple had succumbed to a combination of infection and hypothermia.’
- ‘Whether it was the beginnings of altitude sickness, hypothermia, or simply fatigue I have no idea.’
- ‘The winter could bring hypothermia, pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses.’
- ‘As with heatstroke, hypothermia and frostbite victims should always be given medical help.’
Late 19th century: from hypo- ‘below’ + Greek thermē ‘heat’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.