One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The subordination of one clause to another.Contrasted with parataxis
- ‘These letters are also the most commonly used in the analysis of hypotaxis.’
- ‘The word hypotaxis literally means ‘beneath’ ‘arrangement’, and hypotaxis forms the basis of subordination.’
- ‘In reality, as you might have guessed, a mixture of parataxis and hypotaxis is far more common.’
- ‘The first of these is a form of parataxis, or linear extension; the second is a form of hypotaxis, or extension of hierarchical depth.’
- ‘Parmenides’ poem, despite its first-glance resemblance to epic poetry, is a mess of complicated hypotaxis.’
Late 19th century: from Greek hupotaxis, from hupo ‘under’ + taxis ‘arrangement’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.