A congenital condition in males in which the opening of the urethra is on the underside of the penis.
- ‘In boys with hypospadias, the opening is on the under surface of penis and so the urine is directed down towards their feet.’
- ‘In children with hypospadias, urine exits from the hole on the under surface of penis.’
- ‘The foreskin on a penis with hypospadias is also abnormal.’
- ‘The incidence of asthma is up, as is hypospadias - a congenital shortening of the urethra in males.’
- ‘Twenty parents whose male children were admitted for elective hypospadias repair procedures were interviewed using a qualitative approach.’
Early 19th century: from Greek hupospadias ‘person having hypospadias’, apparently from hypo- + span ‘to draw’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.