Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A congenital condition in males in which the opening of the urethra is on the underside of the penis.
- ‘The incidence of asthma is up, as is hypospadias - a congenital shortening of the urethra in males.’
- ‘Twenty parents whose male children were admitted for elective hypospadias repair procedures were interviewed using a qualitative approach.’
- ‘In boys with hypospadias, the opening is on the under surface of penis and so the urine is directed down towards their feet.’
- ‘The foreskin on a penis with hypospadias is also abnormal.’
- ‘In children with hypospadias, urine exits from the hole on the under surface of penis.’
Early 19th century: from Greek hupospadias person having hypospadias.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.