One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reduce the sensitivity of (a hypersensitive person) to an allergen by frequently injecting small amounts of the allergen; desensitize.
- ‘You may need to remove the stimulus to his barking, or hyposensitize him.’
- ‘With allergic asthma, one can avoid the instigating factors, or be hyposensitized against the airborne substances that cannot be avoided.’
- ‘Since pets cannot be hyposensitized to foods, elimination is the only form of treatment in the case of food allergies.’
- ‘After the offending antigens are identified, then a mixture of these antigens can be formulated into a hyposensitizing injection.’
- ‘Some pets can be hyposensitized to the adverse effects of flea bites.’
- ‘Allergy shots to hyposensitize or build up an immunity to dog allergens will work on some people but not others.’
- ‘In rare cases, a person can be hyposensitized to pet allergens with weekly injections like I did.’
- ‘This invention relates to inhibiting flea-bite allergy by hyposensitizing the host.’
- ‘The third alternative is to hyposensitize the animal against those substances causing an allergic reaction.’
- ‘With injections of gradually increasing amounts of allergen the body becomes hyposensitized (much less allergic).’
- ‘Diagnosing canine atopy can be done through skin tests and blood tests and extracts can be made for injection to hyposensitize.’
- ‘If you do that, then you really need to consider hyposensitizing her to the specific allergens that she is sensitive to.’
- ‘Our researchers hope to develop a hyposensitizing immunotherapy treatment using the naturally occurring disease as a model.’
- ‘Attempts to hyposensitize by administering bee pollen may produce severe anaphylaxis and other acute or chronic responses.’
- ‘This will allow a definite determination of the allergen that needs to be avoided, or potentially hyposensitized with allergy shots.’
- ‘Since dogs and cats cannot be hyposensitized to foods, elimination is the only form of treatment in the case of food allergies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.