Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Reduce the sensitivity of (a hypersensitive person) to an allergen by frequently injecting small amounts of the allergen; desensitize.
- ‘Since pets cannot be hyposensitized to foods, elimination is the only form of treatment in the case of food allergies.’
- ‘If you do that, then you really need to consider hyposensitizing her to the specific allergens that she is sensitive to.’
- ‘The third alternative is to hyposensitize the animal against those substances causing an allergic reaction.’
- ‘With allergic asthma, one can avoid the instigating factors, or be hyposensitized against the airborne substances that cannot be avoided.’
- ‘Some pets can be hyposensitized to the adverse effects of flea bites.’
- ‘Our researchers hope to develop a hyposensitizing immunotherapy treatment using the naturally occurring disease as a model.’
- ‘After the offending antigens are identified, then a mixture of these antigens can be formulated into a hyposensitizing injection.’
- ‘You may need to remove the stimulus to his barking, or hyposensitize him.’
- ‘Diagnosing canine atopy can be done through skin tests and blood tests and extracts can be made for injection to hyposensitize.’
- ‘Attempts to hyposensitize by administering bee pollen may produce severe anaphylaxis and other acute or chronic responses.’
- ‘This invention relates to inhibiting flea-bite allergy by hyposensitizing the host.’
- ‘Allergy shots to hyposensitize or build up an immunity to dog allergens will work on some people but not others.’
- ‘With injections of gradually increasing amounts of allergen the body becomes hyposensitized (much less allergic).’
- ‘This will allow a definite determination of the allergen that needs to be avoided, or potentially hyposensitized with allergy shots.’
- ‘Since dogs and cats cannot be hyposensitized to foods, elimination is the only form of treatment in the case of food allergies.’
- ‘In rare cases, a person can be hyposensitized to pet allergens with weekly injections like I did.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.