One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abnormally slow or shallow breathing.
- ‘Sleep apnea syndrome was defined as more than 20 apneas and/or hypopneas per hour of sleep.’
- ‘Obstructive apneas and hypopneas are most commonly observed during REM sleep in children.’
- ‘An unknown proportion of patients with scoliosis develop central hypopneas, particularly during rapid eye movement sleep.’
- ‘Central apneas and hypopneas were scored as previously described.’
- ‘Steltner and coworkers developed a new algorithm for automated detection and classification of apneas and hypopneas.’
- ‘A nocturnal polysomnogram demonstrated minimal central apneas / hypopneas associated with mild desaturation by pulse oximetry.’
- ‘The severity of the condition is measured by the number of apneas (cessations of airflow) or hypopneas (reductions in airflow) that cause sleep arousal.’
- ‘The reference standard for identifying apneas and hypopneas is the recording of flow with a pneumotachograph but this can disrupt sleep.’
- ‘The apnea-hypopnea index was defined as the number of apneas and hypopneas per hour of TST.’
- ‘The apnea-hypopnea index was calculated as the number of apneas or hypopneas per hour of sleep.’
- ‘Central hypopneas were more common, but their reduction after pacing did not reach statistical significance.’
- ‘Analysis of nocturnal respiration included detection of apneas, hypopneas (central and obstructive), and periods of desaturation.’
- ‘Sleep apnea was defined as an increased number of apneas and hypopneas on overnight monitoring.’
- ‘Reopening of the airway at the termination of obstructive apneas and hypopneas is associated with a burst of pharyngeal muscle activity.’
- ‘The aim of this procedure is to identify an effective pressure to remove apneas, hypopneas, snoring, and arousals.’
- ‘The apnea-hypopnea index was defined as total number of apneas and hypopneas divided by the number of hours of sleep.’
- ‘Thus, we chose a trigger level that minimized the number of hypopneas without spurious triggering of the ventilator.’
- ‘The AHI was calculated as the total number of apneas or hypopneas per hour of total sleep time.’
- ‘Sleep-disordered breathing is characterized by frequent pauses in breathing during sleep, apneas, and hypopneas.’
- ‘In this scenario, the patient underwent a sleep study that showed repetitive obstructive sleep apneas and hypopneas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.