One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- technical term for pituitary
- ‘The intercavernous sinuses are small and they cross the median line at the front and back of the hypophysis.’
- ‘This gland, also termed the hypophysis cerebri, lies in a bony cavity, the sella turcica, so called because it was thought to resemble a Turkish saddle.’
- ‘As an example, the beta cell of the anterior lobe of the hypophysis secretes adrenocorticotropic hormone.’
- ‘The internal carotid artery supplies blood to the middle ear, brain, hypophysis, orbit, and choroid plexus of the lateral ventricle.’
- ‘In any event, they lose contact with the hypophysis.’
Late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek hupophusis ‘offshoot’, from hupo ‘under’ + phusis ‘growth’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.