Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- technical term for pituitary
- ‘As an example, the beta cell of the anterior lobe of the hypophysis secretes adrenocorticotropic hormone.’
- ‘The internal carotid artery supplies blood to the middle ear, brain, hypophysis, orbit, and choroid plexus of the lateral ventricle.’
- ‘The intercavernous sinuses are small and they cross the median line at the front and back of the hypophysis.’
- ‘In any event, they lose contact with the hypophysis.’
- ‘This gland, also termed the hypophysis cerebri, lies in a bony cavity, the sella turcica, so called because it was thought to resemble a Turkish saddle.’
Late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek hupophusis offshoot from hupo under + phusis growth.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.