Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- technical term for pituitary
- ‘This gland, also termed the hypophysis cerebri, lies in a bony cavity, the sella turcica, so called because it was thought to resemble a Turkish saddle.’
- ‘As an example, the beta cell of the anterior lobe of the hypophysis secretes adrenocorticotropic hormone.’
- ‘The internal carotid artery supplies blood to the middle ear, brain, hypophysis, orbit, and choroid plexus of the lateral ventricle.’
- ‘In any event, they lose contact with the hypophysis.’
- ‘The intercavernous sinuses are small and they cross the median line at the front and back of the hypophysis.’
Late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek hupophusis offshoot from hupo under + phusis growth.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.