One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deficiency of potassium in the bloodstream.
- ‘We have found aldosterone antagonists especially helpful in patients with persistent hypokalemia despite potassium replacement.’
- ‘It has been used in combination with potassium-wasting diuretics to prevent hypokalemia.’
- ‘More potassium is given if hypokalemia is present.’
- ‘Underlying causes of atrial fibrillation should be treated, including infection, congestive heart failure, hypoxia, hypokalemia and pneumonia.’
- ‘The patient also received six weeks of potassium supplementation for amphotericin-related hypokalemia.’
1940s: from hypo- ‘below’ + modern Latin kalium ‘potassium’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.