Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream.
- ‘Beta blockers can impair glucose tolerance, block the symptoms of hypoglycemia and delay recovery from a hypoglycemic episode.’
- ‘The patient may have obvious associated illness with fever, dehydration, hypoglycemia, anemia, or evidence of thyrotoxicosis.’
- ‘Patients with diabetes experiencing nocturnal hypoglycemia may have night sweats without other hypoglycemic symptoms.’
- ‘A significant correlation was found between neonatal hypoglycemia and high maternal glucose levels during labor.’
- ‘The glucose level should be determined to rule out hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia and to help diagnose occult diabetes.’
Late 19th century: from hypo- below + glyco- + -emia.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.