Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream.
- ‘Beta blockers can impair glucose tolerance, block the symptoms of hypoglycemia and delay recovery from a hypoglycemic episode.’
- ‘Patients with diabetes experiencing nocturnal hypoglycemia may have night sweats without other hypoglycemic symptoms.’
- ‘The glucose level should be determined to rule out hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia and to help diagnose occult diabetes.’
- ‘The patient may have obvious associated illness with fever, dehydration, hypoglycemia, anemia, or evidence of thyrotoxicosis.’
- ‘A significant correlation was found between neonatal hypoglycemia and high maternal glucose levels during labor.’
Late 19th century: from hypo- below + glyco- + -emia.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.