Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The part of the central abdomen that is situated below the region of the stomach.
- ‘The jejunum is localised mostly in the left mesogastrium; the ileum in the right meso- and hypogastrium.’
- ‘A clinical diagnosis of haemangioma of the pariet al wall of the hypogastrium was made.’
- ‘There is also tenderness on deep pressure over the hypogastrium.’
- ‘In the beginning pain occur in the navel area known as hypogastria.’
- ‘We used a trocarless puncture in the hypogastrium to pass the distal aortic clamp.’
Late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek hupogastrion, from hupo under + gastēr belly.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.