One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical sodium thiosulphate (formerly called hyposulphite) used as a photographic fixer.
- ‘The print was toned for 2 minutes in selenium toner, followed by a 3 minute wash, 3 minutes in hypo clearing agent, and a 1 hour wash.’
- ‘Wash times can be reduced by a 3 minute immersion in hypo clearing agent with continuous agitation.’
- ‘Salted paper is usually fixed in a 10% solution of hypo (100 grams of sodium thiosulfate in 1 liter of water) for 10 minutes.’
- ‘Some of the pink anti-halation dye will remain after the fixing bath but this will disappear after hypo clearing agent and washing.’
- ‘I use four teaspoons of hypo (sodium thiosulfate) in a liter of water and add a quarter-ounce of solution B.’
Mid 19th century: abbreviation of hyposulphite.
- another term for hypodermic
- ‘He pressed mainline sedation hypos against our skin.’
- ‘Kent urged Adam as he prepared the hypo gun filling the beaker to the brim with his special containment serum.’
- ‘Teryn held out her arm and Lucy pressed the hypo down against the vein, where it withdrew the sample with a hiss.’
- ‘And there are shield and cloak power-ups to help Konoko along, as well as medical hypos which help to keep her health meter up.’
- ‘He gyrated a little after the hypo injected, then tossed it over his shoulder.’
- ‘Gnat has a bag with medical tools, and like millions of children, she enjoys jabbing blunt plastic hypos into the dog's butt.’
- ‘Mac wrapped the wound tightly, then pressed the hypo against Bryce's neck.’
- ‘He loaded a hypo gun with several doses, then pulled the anti-grav gurney around, preparing to leave.’
- ‘He pulled a mainline sedation hypo from his pocket and pressed it against the skin of my upper arm.’
- ‘‘Here's the hypo, Dr. White,’ Rena says, passing the medicine over to her colleague.’
- ‘We played doctor with her medical kit - it's amusing to see her shoot up her stuffed animals with the little hypo.’
- ‘They struggle with the poker as Hoffman tries to prepare another hypo.’
- ‘There is also a variety of equipment to use including med-kits, fire extinguishers, blood-test hypos, and flares.’
- ‘They administer a hypo full of boom-juice to a lab rat in a protective plastic dome.’
- ‘Her hands fought to tear the hypo from his fingers.’
- ‘He held out his arm while she administered the hypo of morphine.’
Early 20th century: abbreviation.
An attack of hypoglycemia.
- ‘Managing hypos or low blood sugar levels is one of the daily challenges of having type 1 diabetes.’
- ‘Faulty carbohydrate metabolism by the liver will cause blood glucose to radically rise or fall causing either hypo or hyperglycemia.’
- ‘There are times when he seems to be having a hypo where he clearly cannot concentrate, when he cannot focus.’
- ‘I am now very sympathetic to the plight of the diabetic; I wouldn't want to have to suffer a hypo attack on a regular basis.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.