Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The chemical sodium thiosulphate (formerly called hyposulphite) used as a photographic fixer.
- ‘Wash times can be reduced by a 3 minute immersion in hypo clearing agent with continuous agitation.’
- ‘The print was toned for 2 minutes in selenium toner, followed by a 3 minute wash, 3 minutes in hypo clearing agent, and a 1 hour wash.’
- ‘Salted paper is usually fixed in a 10% solution of hypo (100 grams of sodium thiosulfate in 1 liter of water) for 10 minutes.’
- ‘I use four teaspoons of hypo (sodium thiosulfate) in a liter of water and add a quarter-ounce of solution B.’
- ‘Some of the pink anti-halation dye will remain after the fixing bath but this will disappear after hypo clearing agent and washing.’
Mid 19th century: abbreviation of hyposulphite.
- informal term for hypodermic
- ‘He pressed mainline sedation hypos against our skin.’
- ‘He pulled a mainline sedation hypo from his pocket and pressed it against the skin of my upper arm.’
- ‘He held out his arm while she administered the hypo of morphine.’
- ‘We played doctor with her medical kit - it's amusing to see her shoot up her stuffed animals with the little hypo.’
- ‘And there are shield and cloak power-ups to help Konoko along, as well as medical hypos which help to keep her health meter up.’
- ‘Mac wrapped the wound tightly, then pressed the hypo against Bryce's neck.’
- ‘‘Here's the hypo, Dr. White,’ Rena says, passing the medicine over to her colleague.’
- ‘He gyrated a little after the hypo injected, then tossed it over his shoulder.’
- ‘There is also a variety of equipment to use including med-kits, fire extinguishers, blood-test hypos, and flares.’
- ‘Gnat has a bag with medical tools, and like millions of children, she enjoys jabbing blunt plastic hypos into the dog's butt.’
- ‘They struggle with the poker as Hoffman tries to prepare another hypo.’
- ‘They administer a hypo full of boom-juice to a lab rat in a protective plastic dome.’
- ‘He loaded a hypo gun with several doses, then pulled the anti-grav gurney around, preparing to leave.’
- ‘Teryn held out her arm and Lucy pressed the hypo down against the vein, where it withdrew the sample with a hiss.’
- ‘Her hands fought to tear the hypo from his fingers.’
- ‘Kent urged Adam as he prepared the hypo gun filling the beaker to the brim with his special containment serum.’
Early 20th century: abbreviation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.