One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the state immediately preceding waking up.
- ‘Also the state in-between sleeping and waking is NOT the hypnagogic state but the hypnopompic state.’
- ‘The level I am talking about is also hypnagogic & hypnopompic, because sleep brings on the same feeling of hypnosis.’
- ‘The most likely explanation for alien abductions is sleep paralysis and hypnopompic (on awakening) hallucinations.’
- ‘Sleep paralysis occurs in the hypnagogic state or the hypnopompic state.’
- ‘There's a raw, hypnopompic quality to the spot: it has the sweaty, blurry feel of a nightmare.’
Early 20th century: from Greek hupnos ‘sleep’ + pompē ‘sending away’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.