Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a classical building) having no roof; open to the sky.‘the hypethral temple’
outdoor, out-of-doors, outside, al fresco, in the open airView synonyms
- ‘The temple is open to the sky (hypaethral).’
- ‘So some authorities hold that the hypaethral opening in the centre of an ordinary Greek house was the prototype of that in the house of the divinity.’
- ‘It is improbable that when completed by Hadrian any portion of the temple was hypaethral.’
- ‘Or shall it be a quarter of heaven itself - an hypethral temple, consecrated to the service of the gods?’
- ‘An altar, however, has implications for the roofing of the structure and suggests that at least part of the interior was hypaethral.’
- ‘At the four corners were four hypethral chambers, forty cubits square.’
- ‘The circular, hypaethral shrine stands surrounded by paddy fields with a big tank for ritual bathing near it.’
- ‘It is also necessary to visit the hypaethral museum of Macedonian Fight in the Mpourino, near the village Chromio.’
- ‘These are the circular shaped, hypaethral or roofless structures dedicated to the sixty-four yoginis belonging to the Tantric order.’
- ‘It is hypaethral (open to the sky), and belongs to a genre of architecture completely apart from the major Orissan school.’
- ‘She would have stood originally in a shrine, either structural or hypaethral (open to the sky), and received homage from devotees.’
- ‘The great circular altar may yet be traced at the east front of the Parthenon, which was hypaethral.’
- ‘It was in the Doric style, peripteral and hypethral, and raised upon three steps.’
Late 18th century: via Latin from Greek hupaithros (from hupo under + aithēr air) + -al.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.